Login
Norview High - Then & Now
Click on images to enlarge
Back to Photo Albums
Harlow House, a large, two-story old farm house, served as the first Norview school building. This photo was taken aroun
Harlow House, a large, two-story old farm house, served as the first Norview school building. This photo was taken around 1921-1922. Today, the middle school is on this site. The first graduating class, two girls who transferred from Maury, began their senior year of high school at Norview in 1924.
Built in 1922, this became the second high school for Norview and was meant to accommodate 300 students. The elementary
Built in 1922, this became the second high school for Norview and was meant to accommodate 300 students. The elementary children from the entire county moved into Harlow House which had been on the school lot, but which was moved so that the foundation of this building could be laid. Today, Norview Middle School is on this site.
In June 1952, the cornerstone was placed for the new Norview High school building located on Middleton Place. The first
In June 1952, the cornerstone was placed for the new Norview High school building located on Middleton Place. The first class to graduate from this building was the class of 1955. At the time of its construction, this building was the largest high school in the state of Virginia, originally built to house 1,400 students. The original cost was $3 million to build and $125,000 to furnish. Since then, other additions were made including a girls' athletic area, guidance complex and 12 mobile classrooms. Air conditioning was added in 1999. Norview High's community of Norview was part of Norfolk County, not the city of Norfolk. It is for this reason that Norview was the only high school to have its own football stadium, which was built by Norfolk County. Until the mid-60's, the "home" side of Chittum Field was the side nearest Chesapeake Boulevard. For want of more seating capacity, the bleachers opposite the traditional "home" side were made larger along with a larger press box; thereafter, this larger side became the "home" side. Chittum Field was modified again in 1981. This Norview has seen only three principals: the first of which was Mr. C.W. "Bolo" Perdue, who used to coach Norview's football team in the late 40's and was principal until 1982.
At a cost of $31.7 million to build and $4.7 million to furnish, the new Norview is open to students. At approximately 2
At a cost of $31.7 million to build and $4.7 million to furnish, the new Norview is open to students. At approximately 288,000 square feet, it is twice the size of the building it replaced and is designed for 1800 students. The groundbreaking took place in June 2002 in the middle of the football field where the construction process started. The facility is now complete, including a new stadium adjacent to Sewell's Point Road.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image